At 10:00 this morning, cows 72, 214, 234, and 940, along with steers 217, 222, 227, and 228, were resting in the grassy area north of the water tower, near ///chess.couches.remarks. They were all very friendly as I made my way around checking on them, happily accepting plenty of strokes and rubs. Youngster 222 and cow 940 took turns getting up and coming over for longer neck and back scratches before settling back down to rest. Youngster 227 thoroughly enjoyed a neck and shoulder scratch before stretching out on his side for a belly rub. All eight were happy, relaxed, and looking well.
At 10:45, older steers 21 and 33 were grazing on the lower ground west of James Bond Pond, enjoying plenty of leaves from the trees and bushes near ///mole.pesky.mass. After a short while, they both climbed the bank to the gorse bushes above, picking at the tender green tips. I’ve noticed the herd eating more gorse over the past week. I wonder whether, with all the recent heat, the grass on the heath has dried out and lost some of its quality, making the gorse a fresher and more satisfying option for them. The boys were both well.
At 11:05, youngsters 270 and 271 were both grazing on gorse in the bushes along the eastern bank of James Bond Pond. Older steer 35 had been grazing in the thicket further east, but I met him in the woodland to the east of the pond as he was making his way back to the other two. All three were happy, relaxed, and looking well.
By 11:30, the seven Sussex cattle, along with steers 20, 219, and 220, were resting under the shade of the trees by the entrance gate to the covered reservoir. There were plenty of flies around, but the cattle didn’t appear too bothered by them and were happy to have them brushed from their eyes. They were all happy to be approached as I made my way around, with most enjoying plenty of fuss. Cow 211 was her usual affectionate self, offering plenty of licks after enjoying a long neck rub. All ten were happy, relaxed, and in good condition.
After saying my goodbyes, I wandered back to James Bond Pond at 12:10, where the cattle from the initial groups had assembled in three groups along the northern bank of the pond. Steers 30 and 230, who I had seen when I first arrived on site grazing peacefully on the slope at the western end of Sandy Hill, were standing on the sandy bank at the southwestern corner of the pond. After spending some more time with each of the three groups, I made my way round to see the boys, who were relaxing and chewing their cud while trying to keep the flies away from their faces. Youngster 230 was especially friendly and thoroughly enjoyed an extended back scratch. I said my goodbyes shortly before 13:00 as the boys drifted off to graze in the thicket to the west. Across the pond, the three groups had also come together at the western end and had started to drift off towards the same area to graze.
The cattle were all good today.
No comments:
Post a Comment