Shortly before 09:00 this morning, youngster 219 and the seven Sussex cattle were resting beneath the trees near the Bourley Road car park. Steer 1640 was initially lying down, but soon got up to say hello and enjoy some strokes before settling back down in the open. His healing cut looked slightly redder today, and the warm weather meant that plenty of flies were gathering around it. After giving it a quick check, I laid some bracken over the area to help keep the flies off for a while. I also made Ned at HIWWT aware of the injury and shared some additional photos. The other six were equally friendly, taking turns to say hello before enjoying long back scratches. By 09:35, they were all lying down, relaxing and chewing their cud.
By 09:50, I was wandering along the path beside the Bourley Road fence line when cow 234 stepped out of the thicket and came over to say hello near ///linen.poetry.chest. Cows 72 and 940, along with steer 271, soon followed, each stopping to greet me before setting off east along the path. Steers 20, 30, and 220 continued grazing in the thicket to the south, but they were all happy and looking well. At 10:15, youngster 230 was grazing alone among the bracken beside the western fence line near ///poets.king.grapes and didn't appear to be in any rush to catch up with the others. He happily paused his grazing to enjoy a long back scratch before wandering through the bracken to the path by the cattle grid into Gelvert and disappearing into the thicket. Curious to see where he was heading, I followed, only to find him enjoying a long drink from a large pool of water near the fence line. Afterwards, he set off to catch up with the others, who were now almost with the first group of eight.
As I made my way to the final group of cattle, I noticed that the gate by the water treatment compound near ///behalf.fury.wiggly had been left open. The gate wouldn't sit properly in its catch, so I secured it using a used bike tyre inner tube.
At 10:35, the remaining nine cattle were spread out beneath the trees east of James Bond Pond. Cow 214, along with steers 21, 33, 35, 217, 222, 227, 228, and 270, were all resting comfortably in the shade. They were happy to be approached for their checks, with most enjoying plenty of strokes and rubs while resting. Youngster 222 was especially affectionate, offering gentle head rubs and licks after a particularly satisfying neck rub. The others were content for me to sit nearby, helping to keep the flies away from their faces for a while. All nine were happy, relaxed, and looking well. I said my goodbyes at 11:20, leaving them resting peacefully.
As I was leaving at 11:35, cows 72, 234, and 940 were resting in the cow shed, along with youngster 271. Steers 20, 30, and 220 had joined the seven Sussex cattle and youngster 219 beneath the trees by the car park. Cow 212 and youngster 230 both thoroughly enjoyed long back scratches before I said my final goodbyes at 12:10.
The cattle were all good today.
No comments:
Post a Comment